The Blessings of Ramadan
- The Quran was descended in it “The Month of Ramadan is the one that the Quran was sent down in” (Al Baqarah).
- The worship of the Night of Power is better than more than 83 years “The Night of Power is better than 1000 months” (Al Qadr).
- The reward of fasting belongs solely to Allah (SWT) “Allah (AWJ) says “All of the actions of the Children of Adam belong to themselves, except for fasting; it is for Me and I Alone will reward them for it” Authority of Muslim.
- The smell of the mouth of the person who is fasting is better to Allah then the smell of Musk “By the one who holds Muhammad’s soul in His hand, the smell of the mouth of the person fasting is better to Allah than the smell of Musk” Authority of Muslim.
- The doors of Jannah will open “If the month of Ramadan enters, the doors of Jannah are opened, and the doors of Hell are closed, and the devils are chained.” Authority of Muslim.
- Wipes the sins of the previous year “Ramadan to Ramadan wipes the sins of what is between them, so long as they are not major sins” Authority of Muslim.
- Forgiving of the sins “whoever fasts Ramadan with faith and hope for the reward, all his sins would be forgiven” Authority of Muslim,
- The intercession of the Quran and Fasting on the day of Judgement “Fasting and the Quran intercede for the servant on the day of Judgment” Authority of Ahmed.
- Entering Jannah from the Door Arrayan “Paradise has a door called Arrayan; only those who are Sa’emoon (Fasting) can enter it” Authority of Bukhari.
- The answering of your du’a “Three people whose du’a is not rejected- A just leader, The person fasting until he breaks fast, and the du’a of the oppressed, it will be raised above the clouds on the Day of Judgement” Authority of Muslim.It is an old worship that Allah made mandatory on previous nations, and the Prophet (SAWS) used to fast Ashura’a voluntarily before fasting Ramadan become obligatory in Medina in the second year of Hijra.
- Ramadan brings the fourth pillar of the pillars of Islam , and it is the only month that is mentioned by name in the Quran.
- Fasting is a worship of Allah by abstaining from things that break your fast from Fajr till maghrib.
- Not fasting in Ramadan (without valid reason) is a major sin, who ever does this must repent and makeup missed days.
- Ramadan requires that the person fast with the intention of fulfilling an obligation.
- One is also required to establish their prayer on time while fasting, and they are not excused to delay it from its time without reason.
- It is prefered to delay Suhoor, rush breaking fast, and to make du’a before breaking fast. It is prefered to break fast on dates or water, and it is encouraged to do extra deeds such as increasing Zhikr, praying sunah, giving charity, using miswak, and to say “I’m Fasting” rather than argue/fight someone who curses you.
- The sick, or women on their menstrual cycle or on Postpartum bleeding, or those pregnant or breastfeeding, or the elderly are excused from fasting.
- Intercourse during the day of Ramadan is forbidden.
Things that do not invalidate the fast
Flatulence, putting mascara, swallowing your own saliva, eating forgetfully, wet dreams, kissing between spouses, rinsing your mouth, blood tests, tasting food if your cooking, taking shots that are not nutritious, vomiting unintentionally.
Things that invalidate the fast
Eating/ drinking intentionally, shots that have nutrients, ejaculation while awake, intercourse, menstruation or postpartum bleeding, vomiting intentionally, leaving Islam, cupping.
Etiquettes of fasting
Sincerity, lowering the gaze, guarding the tongue from lying or back biting or slander or cursing, not listening to things that are forbidden or disliked, guarding the extremities, not over eating.
Types of fasting
- Obligatory: fasting Ramadan.
- Compulsory: expiation of an oath.
- Liked/ suggested: Arafah, Ashura, six days of Shawwal, etc.
- Disliked: fasting Arafah for those performing hajj, fasting Friday alone or Saturday alone.
- Strongly disliked: fasting two or more days consecutively without breaking fast, fasting the day of doubt (last day of sha’ban), or fasting the whole year, or fasting for the women without acknowledgement of her husband.
- Forbidden: days of eid, days of menstruation, fasting for someone who will be harmed by the act.
Benefits of fasting
Spiritual benefits: you are more cautious of your actions to gain taqwa, teaches patience, teaches discipline, you do according to the book of Allah and following the sunnah of the Prophet SAWS, the believer is prepared to meet Allah, protects the society from fornication.
Community benefits: teaches order and unity and justice and equality, protects the community from evil and corruption, teaches empathy to those less fortunate, instills hospitality and rushing to do good.
Bodily benefits: cleanse your body, improves digestive system, reinvigorate the body, improves mental awareness, improves skin, protects against stones and fats and other harmful things, lowers blood pressure and blood sugar, etc.
Why break fast on dates?
The sugar in the dates makes you feel full because it is absorbed quickly and reaches the bloodstream quickly, and gives the body energy to return to normal.
If a person were to break fast on meats or vegetables or breads, these take a long time to be digested, so you will not feel full, and you will overfill your stomach, which will negate the health benefits of fasting.
Good deeds in Ramadan
- Charity: “the best charity is that made in Ramadan”.
- Qiyam ul layl: who ever prays qiyam with faith and hope for the reward, all his previous sins will be forgiven.
- Praying taraweeh: Omar(RA)had gathered the people behind one imam (as the hadith of the Prophet SAWS “stick to my sunnah and the way of the righteous predecessors after me, bite on to it with your molars (i.e. never give it up)” ).
- Reciting the Quran: “Fasting and the Quran intercede for the servant on the day of Judgment”.
- Du’a and asking Allah for forgiveness
- I’tikaf – Aisha (RA) narrated that the Prophet SAWS used to spend the last ten days of Ramadan in the masjid (in i’tikaf)
- At least a day and a night.
- Requirements: 1- intention 2- masjid 3- purity.
- Nullified by: 1- leaving masjid 2-major sins 3- intercourse with your spouse.
- If it is a voluntary i’tikaf and you break it, it’s preferred to make it up if it is broken for no excuse.
- Obligatory i’tikaf if broken needs to be made up.
- Wisdom behind i’tikaf:
- Revive your relationship with Allah, and your dependence on him SWT
- Condition the muslim to make hijra for Allah
- The night of power and its specialties and benefits
- Seek it in the last 10 nights of Ramadan because it is an honor and one of the biggest blessings.
- Allah has sent the Quran in it.
- The actions in it are better than 1000 months.
- Jibreel and other angels descend, saying ameen to the dua of the people until sunrise.
- It’s a night of peace and safety, and Allah decrees in it peace.
- Whoever misses out on it, has missed out on a lot.
- Whoever prays qiyam in it with faith and hope in the reward, all his previous sins will be forgiven.
- It is a night that your fate is decided for the next year.
It is a must on every Muslim, and it must be donated prior to eid, and it is given on behalf of every individual in the house, even if they’re young.
Fasting 6 of Shawwal
‘Whoever fasts Ramadan and follows it up with 6 days of Shawwal, it’s as if they fasted the entire year’ and the purpose of the 6 days of Shawwal is to merge up for any shortcomings in fasting Ramadan.
Sincerely: Imam Abdelhameed Elhaddad